- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- May or may not have children of their own.
- May work in the home or outside the home.
- Medical documentation for all household members.
- May be homeowners or renters.
- Must pass a criminal background check.
- Background authorization for household members age 13 and above. FBI/State Police Fingerprints for household members 18 and above.
- Complete CPR, First Aid and Universal Precautions training (NYAP can provide you guidance).
- Complete 39 hours of pre-service training provided by NYAP.
- Must meet all Illinois Foster Parent Licensing Standards.
Qualified foster parents are also:
- Single, married, same-sex couples of any race or religion.
- In good physical and mental health.
- Able to demonstrate financial security.
- Able to clear a background study and provide positive references.
- Willing to complete a home study to ensure a healthy environment.
- Willing to participate in training before fostering and during the time as a foster parent. Training is provided at no cost.