What is Teen Reach?
NYAP’s Teen REACH program is more than a space for your kids to be after school: it is a fun, engaging after-school program! Teen Reach is a comprehensive youth development initiative that provides after school services to high-risk youth ages 6-17 in the Peoria, Sycamore & DeKalb areas. Youth enjoy positive, enriching experiences all week long throughout each academic semester.
- Improving educational performance including time to do homework, tutoring in basic skills and enrichment programs that encourage creativity.
- Life skills education which encompasses training and education that promotes the development of healthy lifestyles, and encourages abstinence from risk-taking behaviors in the areas of alcohol and/or substance abuse, criminal activity, violence and sexual activity.
- Parental involvement so that parents and guardians have opportunities to meet with staff to discuss their children's activities and to participate in events that strengthen parent/child bonds and community involvement.
- Recreation, sports, cultural and artistic activities and arranging safe outlets for youth to try new skills and develop new interests, to build friendships, find their place in a group, and gain developmentally relevant experiences.
- Adult mentors who allow opportunities for participants to develop and maintain positive, sustained relationships with adults.
- Service-Learning activities that connect classroom lessons with meaningful service to the community. Students build academic skills while strengthening communities through service.
WHEN IS IT?
Teen Reach begins Tuesday September 7, 2021
Monday – Friday 2:30pm - 6pm
Saturdays – 11am - 3pm
WHERE IS IT HELD?
Lincoln K-8th School
Huntley Middle School
1515 S. 4th St.
Dekalb, IL 60155
HOW DO I SIGN MY CHILD UP?
Please fill out the following paperwork for your child's participation and send to your city's Teen REACH manager:
Marcola Owens - firstname.lastname@example.org (Peoria)
Velvet Mason - email@example.com (Sycamore)
VOLUNTEER WITH US
We have both one-time and regular volunteer opportunities during our weekday hours of operation, from 2:30 pm to 6:00pm, as mentors, tutors, life skill coaches and speakers. We wish to welcome you and thank you for your desire to volunteer and serve the youth of our community. We look forward to working with you to provide students the opportunity to enrich their lives through maintaining a safe and engaging environment. Teen REACH is often the turning point in our students' lives and can be a very rewarding place to volunteer.
The Teen Reach program strives to provide a safe and welcoming environment for teenagers to continuously develop their academic, social, physical and mental capabilities beyond regular school hours.
- NYAP provides after-school transportation to the community centers from the students’ schools if you are unable to provide the transportation yourself
- Although we would love for you to experience the entire year-long program, attendance is not mandatory and your child will not be penalized for missing a day
- NYAP is offering Teen Reach scholarships to a select number of students who enroll in the program!