West Virginia Qualifications
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must provide a drug and violence-free home.
- Must have ample space so each foster child can have their own bed.
- Must be financially stable without dependence on the foster care per diem.
- Cannot receive state assistance such as food stamps and medical cards (CHIPS are acceptable.)
- Must be willing to undergo criminal background checks and safety checks of the home.
- Must complete a home study.
- Must have reliable transportation with insurance.
Qualified foster parents are also:
- Single, married, same-sex couples of any race or religion.
- In good physical and mental health.
- Able to demonstrate financial security.
- Able to clear a background study and provide positive references.
- Willing to complete a home study to ensure a healthy environment.
- Willing to participate in training before fostering and during the time as a foster parent. Training is provided at no cost.