South Carolina Qualifications
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Have a high school diploma or GED.
- Have medical clearances for all household members.
- Have an extra bedroom(s) to accommodate children in foster care.
- Successfully pass all criminal background checks, including finger printing, Central Registry and Neglect, State and National Sex Offender Registry for all household members, age 18 or older.
- Financial stability and written letters of reference.
- Pass fire, safety and health inspections.
- Have a valid SC driver’s license and means to transport a child.
- Have home, automobile and tenant insurance.
Qualified foster parents are also:
- Single, married, same-sex couples of any race or religion.
- In good physical and mental health.
- Able to demonstrate financial security.
- Able to clear a background study and provide positive references.
- Willing to complete a home study to ensure a healthy environment.
- Willing to participate in training before fostering and during the time as a foster parent. Training is provided at no cost.